TRAILER TEST TRAINING
*This training is now closed to new applicants.*
Free 1 to 1 advice on agri-environment schemes (excluding hls)
Natural England help farmers and land managers learn more about Environmental Stewardship and related topics by provided a free meeting on your farm with a farming and environmental specialist.
Whether you are:
- thinking of applying for ELS, OELS or Uplands ELS for the first time, or
- renewing an existing agri-environment agreement, or
- looking for guidance on how to manage your existing agreement more effectively.
the meeting will include:
- discussion on the ELS, OELS and Uplands ELS options most suited to your farm to benefit farmland birds, wildlife, water, soil, the historic environment and climate change
- information on new and updated options, and how your choice of options contributes to the Campaign for the Farmed Environment
- practical suggestions on option location and management, such as tips on establishing wild bird and nectar seed mixes, guidance on buffer strip weed control, how to get a good sward structure
- information and support on applying for Environmental Stewardship by paper or online, and
- explanation of the financial benefits of the scheme.
To arrange for a free farm visit please call 0300 060 1695 or to find out more visit www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/farming/landmanagementadvice .
Any farmer new to Soils for Profit (s4p) should call 0300 060 1244 or email email@example.com to register.
Apprenticeships for Businesses
Apprenticeships are a cost effective way to recruit the right people and gain a more productive, competitive workforce for your business.
Setting up a programme is easy. If you would like to know more about how apprentices can benefit your business or for further help and advice call 08000 150600 or visit www.apprenticeships.org.uk .
Agricultural Apprenticeship programmes are currently available through Bicton College. Apprenticeships are designed to teach young people the skills they need to progress their career and help support the business they work in. Apprenticeships are available for those aged 16+, and unemployed people considering an apprenticeship will need to find themselves a work placement/employer who is willing to support them in their chosen training programme.
Apprentices follow a structured training and learning programme incorporating many aspects of Agriculture. Apprentices continue to work whilst completing their training and can achieve nationally recognised qualifications.
There may be financial incentives for employers to take on apprentices. Bicton College can offer businesses help to find suitable apprentices or business may be employing someone who has not undergone formal training.
If you are interested in apprenticeships download the information flyer or contact Bicton College for further information on 01395 562394, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website www.bicton.ac.uk
Those involved in agriculture, food and forestry can access training through the Skills Programme run by Duchy College. The 'Skills Programme' provides vocational training and support to farmers and foresters in partnership with other land based colleges and private training providers. There will be a range of training areas including:
- Technical and husbandry issues
- Business and financial management
- Computer training
- Staff development
Support for Gamebird industry
The South West Poultry and Game Birds Initiative is co-ordinated by the Rural Business School at Duchy College and has been developed and implemented in partnership with the West Country Layers Association (WCLA).
The initiative provides funding and support for training and advice events for the Egg Industry and Game Keepers in the South West as well as all the latest industry news.
The project is funded through the South West Healthy Livestock Initiative (SWHLI), part of the Rural Development Programme for England. To visit the website click here - http://www.poultryandgame.co.uk/
For more information on the overall SWHLI project go to www.swhli.co.uk
To ask about dates, to book places or generally find out more about other events in the wider region call Gemma on 01566 86985 or 07791 153573.
Additional forthcoming courses in the area
See 'Events' page for details of events and workshops taking place close to the Exmoor area.
If you or your business have any particular training needs or would like to find out more about what is available please contact the EHFP office on 01643 841 455.